I DO THE DIGGING SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO....

Friday, September 21, 2012

JOURNALS of Kurt Cobain

So I read the Journals and its a fast read. If you actually sit down with some tea and some time.. you could easily finish it in a day. My household is boisterous and constantly eventful so it took me 3 days as I only have time to do it while waiting for swimming class/ paddling/ etc to be over. I have wanted to read Kurt's journals because in 1991, I was snapped out of a stupefied lethargy when I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time. Music in general at that time was just so boring and uninspiring. I hated just about everything that was on contemporary pop radio. I was mostly listening to dated stuff, old punk rock (Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat..the whole punk rock canon) for the most part but I do kind of remember listening to the Cranberries and some stuff that Paul Simon was doing with african drummers. I am embarrassed that I hadn't heard the first lp Bleach first. I like to be one of the firsts on everything and , unlike now, I didn't have the excuse of raising children, running a household or owning a business as an excuse. At any rate, the album Never Mind got my head to snap up pretty fast and I was instantly compelled by Kurt's voice, his lyrics and his music which seemed to me to be the first thing to come out in a while that had any relevance or real musical originality. If you can relate to what I am saying, definitely get the book and give it a read. It really reveals who he was on a much deeper level. There aren't any surprises but its interesting to note that someone else has seen Jesus in woodgrain panel. I saw that during a tr*p in 1987 on someone's bathroom door. I actually made everyone that was with me file into the room and check it out. I think most everyone else was able to see it. We were silent observers from a different planet. We just watched the craziness of the world around us and made little discoveries that were so profound that we just smiled at each other or laughed, knowingly. All on the same wave length as it were. Then the strychnine took over and it was the feeling you have after you run a marathon when your muscles are sore and achy except it was a mental marathon we had just barely staggered away from. Anyways, I'm rambling.  But so does Kurt (A LOT!) in Journals. So enjoy...........

No comments: