I DO THE DIGGING SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO....

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

BLOC PARTY at The Republik


"Nice shirt" said Kele, leaning into the mic. But I didn't hear that because I become a bit of a gimp when I am in the front row center, I have discovered. (Excuse the term but I DID just watch Gervaise the other day on French TV) Lisa, my trusty rock concert companion, told me about Kele's comment later and was sure he was referring to my shirt. But don't ever knock that dumb, deaf, blind kid, you know.... cuz he sure plays a mean pinball. And then later turns into Jesus. And let's face it: no one wants to be left out of a good cult following.

I'm succeeding to speak like I'm f'ing mad. No one told me that fuchsia hair dye soaks down into the frontal lobes of the cerebral cortex! That dirty, lowdown hairdresser! Please forgive me, now where was I?

Kele was not the first to comment on my shirt that evening. It drew many admirers, I guess you could say, in a very Henry VIII sort of way. [refer to above]

I was in front by a guy that has title to the funniest line-maker of the evening (see sweaty blond youth with braces to my right.) During a slight pause in the noise-making, he yelled , "Kele, I WANT YOUR BABIES!!!" That was just too good coming from him and the girl on the other side of him and I busted out in a raucous roar of laughter. She is sporting a t-shirt procured from Kele's solo show at Webster Hall last summer, lucky minx. Her shirt ties mine. Touché!
In fact, Kele may very well have been talking to her rather than me. Well, doesn't that f#ck all!?

I DID, however, manage to hear him call me a "pussy" (well, all of us actually) for not getting riled up enough and then to 'show us how it's done,' Kele jumped off stage into the crowd , danced around a bit and then jumped onto the bar on the other side of the Republik and continued singing while swigging whisky from a bottle and then spraying it all over the crowd with his mouth. It was beautiful. I have never seen a performer jump up on a bar like that during a live show, mid-concert while swigging whisky; that is a "first." You start to use up 'firsts' as the years pass, so when they appear, it's usually a welcomed thing.

His bacchanalian baptism was timely as this was the first evening the Republik opened its doors to the publik. EVER. And yes, I WAS THERE!!! I wouldn't miss something like that....a new venue in Honolulu that caters to alternative and punk music? HELLO...nice to meet you!

I really was looking forward to the pink telecaster but it did not make an appearance. *sniff* I love a man playing a pink guitar. (truly!) What ever HAPPENED to that guitar? But Gordon Moakes stuck with his grey Fender bass, Russell played his non-pink Fender the entire time and Kele constantly and rather obsessively alternated between a Gretsh, a white Fender and a Rickenbaker depending on the song. He also toyed around with an effects pedal and the end result was --- friggin' amazing! Thank you Bloc Party! We hope you like Hawaii as much as we like you! And you wear the leis quite well, by the way.

Set List:

(not in order)
~~ please Twitter if you see any mistakes and I will rectify list ~~
Their new album FOUR from which they played a few selections at the show, will be released this month on August 20, 2012 so mark it!

Blue Light
So Here We are
Day Four
Flux
Hunting for Witches
Signs
Octopus
Helicopter
Banquet
Like Eating Glass
I Still Remember
Mercury
One More Chance
Hunting for Witches




No comments: